Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

SAPCES ON OFFICIAL NON-CLUB EASTER TRIP-Tararuas

Last post 30-03-2007, 1:21 PM by craig. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  26-03-2007, 11:35 PM 440

SAPCES ON OFFICIAL NON-CLUB EASTER TRIP-Tararuas

If you are still planning your Easter tramping trip- then maybe you would like to hop onto our one?

I have got two non-tramping club friends coming on this tramp with me already but.....I've got  1-2 spaces left going to do part of the famously famous Southern Crossing in the Tararuas just north of Welly 6-8 April. It's not a hard trip, but I do want people who like a quickish pace!

Why would you want to go anywhere else?  Well, It will probably be incredibly busy in the huts, and the Easter traffic on State Highway 1 might mean we never arrive BUT.....this tramp gets up as high as possible in the Tararuas (1500m -ish) with great walking along and up ridgetops, alpine huts etc.

The Plan Stan:

Friday morning early Otaki Forks-  Fri night Kime Hut (6hrs uphill)

Saturday Kime Hut-  Mt Hector return (Alpha Hut day visit?) (8+ hours possibly)

-Sat night Field hut (oldest hut in the park)

Field hut- Easy walk back to Otaki Forks Sunday morning (3 hours downhill). back in Wellington early afternoon

Petrol should cost about $10 each, the huts cost $5 ($10/ two backcountry huts tickets). We will go shopping for the main food just before the tramp in Paraparaumu, but bring  your own snacks, extra food...

We have a map, cooker, billies, a tent just in case, all you need is sleeping bag....pack... couldn't be easier.

Get in touch with me (029 894 0847/ 479 8488) or sophie.allen@maf.govt.nz

if lots of people are interested, we could try to get another car to come.

Filed under: , ,
  •  27-03-2007, 3:48 PM 457 in reply to 440

Re: SAPCES ON OFFICIAL NON-CLUB EASTER TRIP-Tararuas

sounds good, but what's a sapce?

Sammy Roo
  •  29-03-2007, 12:44 PM 487 in reply to 457

I'm not too sure either... but they sound Dangerous....

The Government should do something to control them!!!

•  29-03-2007, 5:30 PM 489 in reply to 487

yeah they should, seems a bit weird that they're coming on a official non-club Easter trip, what a strange thing for a Sapces (whatever they are) to be going on.

The government should get Task Force  Sapce into operation.

Sammy Roo
  •  29-03-2007, 9:44 PM 493 in reply to 487

Sam and Ollie-

clearly SAPCES is government-speak for Saucy Apes, Pirates, and Exchange Students.

These are the only groups of trampers that are welcome on the trip, but great you want to come Sam. i would definitely class you as a Saucy Ape.

•  30-03-2007, 1:21 PM 508 in reply to 493

If I bring rum does that put me in the pirate category?  I can do pirate sounds (badly – but with rum much better).  Unfortunately these days all pirates are compared to Johnny Depp so I may find it difficult to make the grade of pirate.  However you did not say Saucy Pirates.

I do have one point of concern.  What the government doing about Saucy Apes? They are not native!  Will they become a pest?  We better just hope that the Saucy Apes don’t get out of control!

View as RSS news feed in XML